Monday, December 3, 2012

two & three.

TWO.



When I waited tables, finding a stray dollar bill around wasn't a challenge, but now that I have a 9-5 job I don't seem to have a lot of cash. Lucky for me, when I got to work today, I discovered a single dollar bill in my back pocket. So I stuck a post it note to the dollar bill and made my way to the lunch room around 9:45. I had to go early enough before there was a lot of traffic in the lunch hour. 

Oh P.S. Sorry for the poor quality on half of the pics. I had to rely on the trusty iPhone to snap the pictures today.


Around 11 am I went to go fill up my water bottle and lo and behold there was a co-worker standing at the vending machine. Lucky me! I was going to witness her enjoying the freebie of an extra dollar bill in her pocket. She read the note out loud and to my surprise her response wasn't what I had expected. She flipped up the post it note and said aloud "I just don't get this. Weird."

Weird? You get a pack of starbursts on someone else's dime.
Oh well.
I checked back every hour and even throughout the lunch rush, no one touched the dollar bill.
When I finally took my lunch at 2, my co-worker said "Oh no, I'm short 10 cents for my Dr. Pepper!" And then she saw the yellow post it note and said "Perfect! I guess this Dr. Pepper was meant to be!"

I guess it was. Enjoy your 90 cent profit, too.

THREE.




I was really excited about this one when I opened my envelope this morning. This was gonna pose a challenge for sure. One, I had to get off work, grab what I needed to make dinner, make it and then get over to their house at a decent enough time. Two, I had to somehow get them to not eat without spoiling the surprise. And three, most of all, I needed them to be home.

During my lunch break I called their house and no one answered. Uh oh. I left them a message and told them to call me and let me know if they would be home. 4:30 rolls around and I get a call from my Papa. He tells me that they would be home. Great news! I tell him I'll be over around 7:30 and to have an appetite. He had a smile on his face for sure. I could just tell by the sound of his voice. I was really excited about this.

5:30. Time to head home. First I had to make it to the grocery store. Of course the roads were jammed with traffic, but that wasn't going to ruin my good mood. 


Grocery store? Check.

Home I went to prepare a delicious dinner...




I cooked dinner in a jiffy and was done earlier than expected. So I gave them a call and made my way over.



Let's do this! 
7:00 pm, I'm at their door and they have the biggest grins on their faces. I bring dinner into the kitchen and explain what's going on and they're just elated that they get to be a part of it all.


I just loved sitting down to dinner and enjoying my Nana and Papa's company. We talked about my new home, my new job, the Christmas season and life in general. These moments were why I wanted to do this all in the first place, to take the time to do the things I should do more often, like spend time with my family or do things outside of the norm of my every day life. Already I can tell that it's changing my attitude about each day. I wake up feeling like I have more purpose. Even if it's just putting a dollar bill on the vending machine, it's doing something. I get excited to wake up in the morning and discover my challenge for the day. It's definitely keeping me on my toes.

Days two and three were a great success. I'll be back tomorrow with day four!



No comments:

Post a Comment