Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Five.



In this technologically advanced world we live in, there are some things that used to be common to our every day life that have now been tossed aside, and in this case it involves two of them. Phone books. And snail mail.

Who doesn't love getting a card in the mail? So much of what's in the mail these days are the bills that we haven't yet set up to receive electronically, or have automatically taken out of our bank account, or the bi-weekly Bed Bath and Beyond ad. I think people deserve happy surprises in the mail.

Phone books? We used them all the time back in the day. Toilet clogged and flooding the bathroom? Skim your finger down the plumber section of the yellow pages. C'mon Google? In 1993 the phrase "google it" hadn't quite made it to the dictionary yet. Had a friend that recently moved and you forgot what their number was? It's not in your iPhone. What's that? Go grab the 5lb. white pages. 

To execute this, I was going to need a phone book for sure. You can't just randomly select someone's address on Google. I had to do the old fashioned flip open the book, close my eyes, circle around the page a few times and then point.

So before work I headed to CVS and grabbed a really adorable Christmas Card.


Then I wrote a note to the stranger, advising them that they were luckily and randomly chosen for this challenge today.


I don't own a phone book, but thankfully my work had a recent one lying around and so flip, circle and point I did and landed on a lovely person named Emma. I've covered most of her address to protect her privacy, but she does have a lovely name.


I'm really hoping that this brightens her day and that she really does have a wonderful Christmas.

And what are the odds, on my way home from work, I passed a street called Westgate. I wonder if that's where our mystery person lives? 


In closing, doing this reminded me how much I really enjoy sending and receiving mail. It tends to be something that is a little more popular during the Christmas season, but why not throughout the year. You never know whose day you might make by sending them a nice card to say hello. I highly recommend it.

2 comments: