Sunday, December 2, 2012

one.



Bake a new dessert huh? Well, this sure was going to be a challenge. I'm a girl on a budget and it was 7:30 by the time I started this advent challenge, so I was too lazy to run to the store. I was going to have to work with what I had. I figured I had the basic necessities for baking, flour, sugar, eggs, milk and butter. So I used a lovely website called SuperCook and typed in all of my ingredients and voila, there were over 300 recipes to choose from. So now I was overwhelmed. So I just closed my eyes and did kind of an eenie meenie miney mo type thing.

My pointer finger landed on Crepes.
Ooo la la. 
(and a little bit of omg this seems complicated because crepes are soooo fancy.)






After mixing all of my ingredients I grabbed my pan and greased it. This is a heavy duty pan that my mom and I snagged at an estate sale for a whopping $4. Lesson learned. It's not the best for crepes. This pan was too big and bulky for the delicacy that is crepes. 



It turned out like a giant yellow tortilla. But I had to taste test it. So I drizzled some syrup on it and munched away while I worked on finessing and fine tuning my crepe making skills.


So I found a pan that was slightly smaller, greased it, and poured a thin layer of the mixture in the pan. Wait a minute. Slide the mini spatula underneath and flip! I was getting the hang of this thing. Each crepe got more delicate, more round and more...what's the word I'm looking for...more crepe like. By the end I had 5 or 6 beautiful looking (in my measly opinion) crepes.


I didn't have much in the way of fillings or toppings, so just a light drizzle of syrup would do the trick. Besides, this was my first time making them, so I wanted to make sure I had gotten that authentic crepe taste. I'd say, I was pretty successful.


Apparently, so would FiFi. (Little Miss snuck this off my plate when I left the room for a second.)




Day one's challenge was a great success. Tomorrow will be a combination of days two and three. I already know what day two is, but I can't complete it today. So tomorrow I will be back with the 2nd and 3rd day's worth of  "advent"ures.



No comments:

Post a Comment